Open a door, hand somebody your ticket, and take a wild guess as to what world you’ve just fallen into.
- The Philadelphia Inquirer
American Opera Projects &
Opera On Tap
Champions of courageous, new opera without the stuffing: An evening of contemporary work with an entirely casual atmosphere, all are welcome
Flatbush: Sept 13, 7:30pm
Park Slope: Sept 19, 7:30pm
Fort Greene: Sept 22, 7:30pm*
(* Purchase Fort Greene/Irondale Center Tickets
Via Separate Link Below)
Bold, fresh and new opera begins in Brooklyn with American Opera Projects and Opera on Tap’s OPERAtion Brooklyn. In a casual atmosphere, progressive new works of opera are presented by young composers and performers. This sophisticated and sexy piece challenges the conventions of one of the oldest vocal forms. Opera about texting and walking. Opera about the subway. Opera about “Stop-and-Frisk”. Our times, our Brooklyn—operatically.
- Songs from Brooklyn indie favorite One Ring Zero - The program will include four songs from the album “As Smart As We Are (The Author Project)” which Viggo Mortensen (yes, that Viggo Mortensen) calls “…a well-orchestrated booby trap for music lovers everywhere…“.
- The world premiere of Daniel Felsenfeld’s “A Genuine Willingness to Help (Book I)”. This is a work comprised of songs set to varied and expressive texts by some of New York’s best young writers such as Jonathan Lethem, Fiona Maazel and Rick Moody.
- “Stop and Frisk” by composer Sidney Marquez Boguiren and librettist Daniel Neer. This piece features two friends discussing the racial aftermath of one’s recent brush with police in a ‘Stop and Frisk’ investigation.
* Purchase Tickets to see “OPERAtion Brooklyn” at The Irondale Center (FG) on 9/22 here:
American Opera Projects & Opera on Tap will also be appearing in this year’s BEAT Sideshow at Coney Island on Tuesday, Sept 18. Click below to learn more and get tickets!
OPERAtion Brooklyn performances are “Bookend” events as part of this year’s Brooklyn Book Festival.
About American Opera Projects (AOP)
AOP’s mission is to identify, develop and present new and innovative works of music theater by emerging and established artists and to engage our audiences in an immersive, transformative theatrical experience. Operas to receive fully-staged premieres after passing through AOP’s First Chance development program include Séance on a Wet Afternoon (New York City Opera, Opera Santa Barbara), Before Night Falls (Fort Worth Opera), and Heart of Darkness (London’s Royal Opera House), among many others.
About Opera On Tap
Opera on Tap (OOT)’s mission is to bring opera to new audiences by performing in bars, rock concert halls, and other alternative spaces. Born in the backroom of a Brooklyn divebar in 2005, Opera on Tap has gained national press recognition, several performance residencies across the city, and regional Chapters in New Orleans, Atlanta, Ann Arbor MI, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, Denton TX, San Francisco, Seattle, the Twin Cities, and most recently Boston. In addition to its collaborations at Galapagos with American Opera Projects, OOT hosts a new music concert series called New Brew at Barbes in Brooklyn the first Friday of every other month and bi-annually co-produces the critically acclaimed 21c Liederabend (Best of 2009 in TimeOut NY) in collaboration with Beth Morrison Projects and VisionIntoArt. Opera on Tap has recently been featured for its exploits in The Denver Post, The LA Times, LA Weekly, Seattle Weekly, and on NPR’s Cross Currents.